8.25.2008

the convention, sofa view

I can't watch the Democratic National Convention. I start to cry and then I feel like a patsy because I am so moved by the speeches and the faces of the delegates. I know it's likely pretty sleazy and shallow in the hotels after hours, and for pete's sake, it's being held in the Pepsi Center. It's already as corrupt as it can be.

Yet...yet. I caught the end of Ted Kennedy's speech and I teared up immediately. The crowd was tearing up. It was a really good speech, and it felt like there was energy and hope for people not to be so totally fucked over by the forces of greed and wealth.

And then the people dancing during the intermission... Just people. Not Maria Shriver, not a Clinton. Just people.

My cousin is there. Smart, confident, smooth, friendly. Involved.

I started a new job. I don't quite know what's real, but my job really seems okay.